- 1 Why won’t my disc play on my computer?
- 2 Why does my DVD not play on my computer?
- 3 Why is my CD player not reading discs?
- 4 How do I fix my CD drive not reading discs?
- 5 Why can’t Windows 10 see my DVD drive?
- 6 How do you play a DVD on a Windows computer?
- 7 Does Windows 10 have a built in DVD player?
- 8 Why do CD players stop working?
- 9 How do I know if my CD drive is working?
- 10 What to do if DVD is not reading?
Why won’t my disc play on my computer?
The problem happens mostly because of bad drivers, but sometimes it occurs because of a dirty or scratched surface on your CD. Your operating system provides you with a tool to update drivers for your CD-ROM drive. Try the CD again. If it doesn’t work, just try another disk.
Why does my DVD not play on my computer?
If you see an error from Windows Media Player that says “compatible DVD decoder not installed,” this means that a plugin (called an mpeg-2 decoder) needed to play DVDs is not installed. We recommend downloading this software from www.videolan.org in order to play DVDs on your computer.
Why is my CD player not reading discs?
Sometimes a CD player will display a “No Disc ” error. What this means is that the CD player, for some reason, does not recognize the disc. There are various reasons for this error, from the CD lens eye being dirty to a CD format that is incompatible with the player. Troubleshoot through process of elimination.
How do I fix my CD drive not reading discs?
Update Your CD Drivers
- From the Start menu, search for Device Manager.
- Find your DVD / CD-ROM drivers tab.
- Right-click your CD Drive from DVD / CD-ROM and select Properties.
- Click the Driver tab and select Update Driver. Follow the prompts.
Why can’t Windows 10 see my DVD drive?
Reinstall or Update Driver in Device Manager Boot to the Windows 10 desktop, then launch Device Manager by pressing Windows key + X and clicking Device Manager. Expand DVD /CD- ROM drives, right-click the optical drive listed, then click Uninstall. Windows 10 will detect the drive then reinstall it.
How do you play a DVD on a Windows computer?
To play a CD or DVD Insert the disc you want to play into the drive. Typically, the disc will start playing automatically. If it doesn’t play, or if you want to play a disc that is already inserted, open Windows Media Player, and then, in the Player Library, select the disc name in the navigation pane.
Does Windows 10 have a built in DVD player?
The Windows DVD Player enables Windows 10 PCs with an optical disc drive to play DVD movies (but not Blu-ray discs). You can buy it in the Microsoft Store. For more info, see Windows DVD Player Q&A. If you’re running Windows 8.1 or Windows 8.1 Pro, you can search for a DVD player app in Microsoft Store.
Why do CD players stop working?
A scratched or damaged disc is often the culprit and not the player. Use a newer disc if possible to ensure the condition is pristine. If the problem persists with the new disc, remove all discs and run a power cycle to reset the player. Remove any batteries or unplug it to drain the power.
How do I know if my CD drive is working?
How Do I Tell If My CD Drive Is Working?
- Check Operation. Press the button to open the CD – ROM drive. The drive should open to accept a CD.
- Check the Drive. Click “Start” on the taskbar. Click “Computer” on the right side of the Start menu.
- Check Device Manager. Click “Start” on the taskbar. Click “Control Panel.”
What to do if DVD is not reading?
HP PCs – CD/ DVD Drive Cannot Read Discs (Windows 10, 8)
- Step 1: Confirm if the disc is causing the issue.
- Step 2: Run the Hardware and Devices troubleshooter.
- Step 3: Test the drive for a hardware failure.
- Step 4: Check the drive status in Device Manager.
- Step 5: Enable AutoPlay.
- Step 6: Restore the PC to an earlier state.